Saturday, June 2, 2012

REFLECTION ON DIALOGUE

Reflection on a dialogue (verbal communication) with at least five language functions for role plays (6 February 2012).
CHARACTER
DIALOGUE
NAJA
Hi, girls! Good morning! Chinese New Year is coming. Do you girls go back for holiday? (To ask)
LIZA
Yes! I will go back for sure because it is my family celebration (To reply). How about you girls?(To ask)
INN
I’m not sure yet because my parents are not at home for the time being (To reply).
JUE
Same goes for me as we have not received our allowances yet (To explain).
LIZA
So pity for both of you. Why don’t both of you come with me? Let’s celebrate the Chinese New Year with me and my family. (To invite)
INN
Hmm…I don’t think I can join you because I already have my own plans for this coming holiday (To decline).
JUE
Cool! It’s a good idea! But, I have to ask permission from my parents first (To half agree)
NAJA
Anyway, are you serious Liza? Since I always dream of celebrating Chinese New Year, don’t you mind if I go along with you? May I? May I? (To request)
LIZA
Yes, why not? It’s my honor to have you as my special guest (To agree).
NAJA
Wow! That sounds lovely. Thanks, Liza (To thank). By the way, what is so special about Chinese New Year celebration? Come on, tell us! (To ask).
JUE
Oh, I know. I know! One of them is Lion Dance. I really enjoy the Lion Dance show. It’s what I’m waiting for every year (To express).
INN
But, I know the most special one! (To express)
JUE
What is it? What is it? (To ask)
INN
Angpau! Since I’m not coming with you, so don’t forget my angpau, okay! (To remind)
LIZA
Yes, both of you are correct. But, I’m so sorry, my dear. (To apologize). I’m not married yet so I can’t give you angpau. (To explain)
INN
Why can’t? (To confirm)
LIZA
It’s a tradition. I can’t change it. (To explain)
NAJA
Oh, I see. Actually I’m so excited to play fireworks. (To express)
LIZA
Yes, me too. It is the most exciting part in Chinese New Year celebration for me. (To respond)
JUE
Really? That sounds great! (To respond)
LIZA
So, what are you waiting for? (To convince)
JUE
Alright, I’ll try my best to convince my parents. (To agree)
INN
If that so, I have to think twice about this. (To confirm)
LIZA
Good! That’s my friend (To praise)
NAJA
Awesome! Let’s shopping for a new cheongsam, girls! (To invite)
LIZA, JUE & INN
Let’s go!!! (To agree)

When we talk about Language Functions, we are talking about the reason we use a language. At its most basic, the function of language is communication; we use language to give and receive messages between ourselves. We can break this down into Language Functions. When we communicate with language we can:
§  compare and contrast
§  make a complaint
§  express love or anger
§  persuade someone
§  give advice
§  ask for something
§  ask for something politely
§  hide the truth (lie)
§  warn
§  give information
§  explain a process
§  apportion blame
§  avoid saying anything

According to our dialogue, we used 14 language functions which are to reply, to request, to explain, to agree, to respond, to invite, to praise, to confirm and so on. By doing this dialogue, I get to know better what is the function of certain words. We have to use correct functional language when communicate with the peoples. Plus, the intonation of our pronunciation must be correct.

 In my opinion, functional language helps us to speak purposely. The listeners become easy to understand if we use functional language in the good way. Without our consciousness, we use functional language in our daily life. We can see how important it is.

Besides, I realized that even the word that we use in our conversation looks simple, but when we used it wrongly, people tend to misunderstand of what we are talking about. So, I tell to myself, I must be cleared in functional language so that my students in the future will not be wronged when talking to people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment